Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rutgers Tournament


Congrats to Peter & Sarah, Meg & Caitlin, Robert & Emillie!!!

This weekend was the Rutgers Tournament, we had a decent contingent go - Greg & I, Meg & Caitlin, Peter & Sarah, and Robert & Emillie debated, while Gareth was judging. It was a pretty good weekend, we had 2 teams (Meg & Caitlin, Peter & Sarah) break to quarters in varsity, 1 in novice team (Robert & Emillie) to semi's, I got to see Steph, and had some luck this weekend! And, I even got a bed, and managed to pack light for once! (I figured out it was the bag itself that had been weighing me down)

Friday
The day started out the same as usual, I went to work study, then packed, saw Jenny, and headed out to the Ram Van. We took the Ram Van down to LC, then the 1 to Penn Station. While waiting for the train (we had a decent amount of time) I got a KRISPY CREAM DONUT and strawberry lemonade - yum! Finally it was time to board the train, we took the 2:01 PM Express Trenton Bound train to New Brunswick. The ride was very fast, and only took about 1/2 hr, who knew we were so close? When we got to the stop we werent sure it was ours, and ran off the train like maniacs. Luckily they waited for us all to get off, or else we would have been riding the train for anotehr 40 mins to the next stop - Princeton.

We finally arrived to GA, we were super early (3PM) and was the first team there, there wasn't even anyone from Rutgers there yet. Eventually Dave (who I've met 9453445654 times before) and Kyle got to GA.

We just chilled for a while. There was an interesting field of debaters present - Princeton (Dan and Zayn were both here instead of Chicago?), NYU, some Hopkins kids (Vivek & Childers), Leah from AU, Sam Hynes from W&M was judging, one team from Yale, F&M, TCNJ, etc. It was a small tournament, as there were only 30 teams. It was oringally supposed to be 32, but some teams had dropped causing them to cancel Round 4, since Princeton had both sent approximately 8 teams each, making it hard to pair rounds. This was good, cuz we got to sleep in though! :)

After Round 2, Steph had met up and got dinner w/ us, we went to the "Fat Cat" which had some crazy sandwiches. Imagine a sandwich with any and all possible fried food... After that Steph came to watch one of my rounds. We then got housing, and headed out to the party.

The party was interesting to say the least. We got there relatively early, we were ready to head over there before the host was even home. When we got there there wasn't really anyone there yet. But there was some alcohol, however the team was being super annoying and controlling. The NOVICE, FIRST YEAR debaters who were FRESHMEN, were telling me - a JUNIOR VARSITY debater that I shouldn't drink the jungle juice. I was outraged, and annoyed, but I didn't want to get into a disagreement so I had Kyle make me a mixed drink instead :) The novii went down for drinks and the same thing occurred.

After a while Steph and I just chilled independently, after a while Emillie came up to me and said the team was leaving, it wasn't even 12:30 yet... LAME! So I stayed later w/ Steph. Soon after Eric, the Rutgers president convinced me to have a shot... or 2 by the end of the night. Needless to say I was a bit tipsy by the end of the night.

After the team had left, Steph and I hung out w/ the TCNJ kids. That was interesting... Long story short, one of the boys (who shall remain namess) was trying to hook up w/ me... (don't worry it's me, and well all know I'm not that type of girl)


Saturday
Apparently the party had gotten raided not too long after I had left, and people were maised and arrested. And I bumped into the TCNJ boy, and he was supernice the next day, meaning I wasnt just some girl he wanted a drunken hookup with :)

Breaks were announced, and we had 2 teams in the varsity break, and one in the novice break. In the words of Matt Spotts, YEAH FORDHAM WHOO!!!!!!

After Quarters, we all took the train home, and hit up White Castle.

No comments: