Sunday, September 25, 2011

Columbia Parli Tournament

This past Friday/Saturday I was judging at Columbia.

It was definitely a blast from the past with all the high school debaters now joining the college parli debate circuit (APDA).

I saw Abhi who went to my HS AFTER I graduated, Thurm who I had judged throughout his HS career and Andrew, used to coach at Bronx who I finally convinced to join the circuit!

I also met the new Fordham novices, they seem like a good crowd now.  I think Fordham is heading toward the right track - old school, fun Fordham again!  Which makes me super happy!!! I wont go into too much detail, but those who spoke to me know my take on the team...

Between Round 2 & 3, Lily kicked off the first "Women's Initative" mixer event, which was great!  It was nice for all the girls to be in a room together to talk about girl power, but idk it was weird that it was segregated - not a big fan of that... kind of defeats the purpose to some extent...  But good in theory.

I had the pleasure of staying with Clara Friday night - so of course I had an awesome night.  I <3 that girl!!!

The team rented out a frat house for the party which was pretty sweet to say the least.  I paried a bit w/ Eric, who I thought hated me... I guess he doesnt! :)  And it was just good to finally see him in a different light - other than that debater from Scarsdale - lol.

On Saturday I stayed til semis and FINALLY got to judge and see Coulter (part of Harvard Lion King) debate!  He was fabulous!  Sadly I had to drop Clara/Mark to them though :(

Happy to say that Andrew/Sam won the Novice division and Coulter/Loomis won the entire tournament!

Congrats! :)


No comments: